Fast and Free Shipping On Orders Over $100
No Salesmen, Just Enthusiasts 888.993.4373
We are proud to offer Red-Head replacement steering gear boxes for the third generation heavy duty Dodge Rams! No, this is not just another rebuilt box like what you'll get at your local auto parts store! These steering boxes are built in Washington state and offer unmatched steering control and longevity. We have personally ran several brands and have had the best results to date with the Red-Head.
This gearbox allows you to retain the factory steering shaft, as well as the stock pitman arm. This is a major advantage especially those with lifted trucks with dropped pitman arms, as you will not have to change your pitman arm.
HYDRAULIC STEERING ASSIST PORTS OPTION: Red-Head offers a porting option for those that are either already running a hydraulic assist steering, or plan to in the future. If you choose to make this upgrade to the box (from the drop down menu), your gear box will come with two pre-drilled and tapped ports with plugs. For clarification, hydraulic assist is NOT something your vehicle would have come from the factory with, rather it is an upgrade that adds a hydraulic ram to the steering linkage to aid in steering. Most vehicles do NOT have this option, thus if you are unsure if you have it, you probably do not.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To ensure proper fitment, check the steering box top cover of the box you are replacing. This product is designed to replace 4 bolt top cover boxes. Some vehicles can have an upgraded 6 bolt top cover steering box. If you are replacing a 6 bolt top cover steering box with a 4 bolt top cover box, you will need a factory pitman arm and tie rod end, or you can purchase the RH-2879U for a direct replacement.
You have the option for us to include a pre-paid return label with the shipment for ease of returning your core. With this option, you will merely need to drop the re-packaged core with accompanying shipping label off at a UPS drop-off. Otherwise, it will be your responsibility to supply your own means of returning the core. Pre-paid return label option is only applicable to the lower 48 contiguous United States. Please contact us if you have any questions. Cores with broken shafts or cases will receive partial or no core refund.
EVIDENCE: If you'd like additional third party evidence as to what goes into a Red-Head gear box and how much of an impact it will really make in your driving experience, check out a detailed review by acclaimed Turbo Diesel Register editor, Doug Leno.
- ManufacturerRed-Head Steering Gears Inc.
- 12 Month Warranty
- Built in the USA
- Housings are machined out and replaced with needle bearings
- Shafts are flame sprayed or replaced as needed
- New control valves installed on some applications
- Worm and piston assembly are custom fit with special ordered, precise oversized ball bearings
- Sector shafts are installed on a lathe to confirm they are straight and true
- Sealing surface is polished to avoid any leaks
- If you have installed an aftermarket gear box from a local auto parts store, chances are that the steering box you installed came with new, smaller diameter bolts that connect the box to the frame rails. If you purchase this Red Head steering box, it will require you to use factory style bolts. We have included an option to add factory style bolts that will be shipped with the new steering gear.
Added To Cart
Red-Head Steering Gear Box 03-08 Dodge Ram 5.9L/6.7L Cummins