Fast and Free Shipping On Orders Over $100
No Salesmen, Just Enthusiasts 888.993.4373
The problem with the majority of aftermarket wheels on the market today are they truly are not vehicle specific. Sure, they have certain bolt patterns that work on any vehicle with that particular bolt pattern, but there's so much more that should go into it than that. What about width and backspacing? These two seldom misunderstood variables can completely change how a wheel and tire package sits on the truck, and can cause the need for fender flares due to excessive backspacing or control arm / radius arm rub if not enough depending on the vehicle. AEV took an entirely different approach and built the Katla wheel specifically for one series of truck, the 2010+ Ram HD, yet they will still bolt up to any truck with an 8x6.5 bolt pattern.
Named after a famous Icelandic volcano, the Katla's design was inspired by AEV's popular Savegre wheel for the JK Wrangler, but adapted for use on 3/4 and 1-ton Ram trucks. This proven design not only looks great, but is also capable of withstanding extremely heavy loads. AEV's signature recessed valve stems provide added protection from rocks and other objects on the trail. The 17x8.5 Katla features a Ram-specific backspacing that is designed for the perfect fitment with or without factory fender flares when using up to a 37" tire. This vehicle specific wheel design provides the optimal balance of tire clearance, scrub radius and handling. Available in Onyx Black and a printable Flat Black finish.IMPORTANT NOTES FROM AEV:
- Be aware that the tire size indicated on the sidewall of a tire is only a general indication of its size and is not necessarily its actual size. Tires can run larger or smaller than their indicated size and larger tires may rub fenders, chassis and control-arms during steering and/or suspension movement.
- Made In: China. And for the record, we're not happy about it. At AEV, we remain committed to American manufacturing, and we would much rather have our wheels manufactured in the US. But right now, you can't get wheels made in the US at aftermarket volumes.
What happened? Most of the US wheel manufacturing used to be based in California. In the early nineties, China targeted the wheel industry as a strategic growth industry. They set up incentives for the construction of wheel manufacturing facilities, began offering export credits of 22% on wheels, and fully subsidized the cost of new tooling. US plants couldn't compete. Most US manufacturers ended up selling their equipment to China, created partnerships with the Chinese plants, and became middle men importing wheels back to the US.
Today, the only cast wheel plants left in the US are for high volume OE wheel programs. So unfortunately, buying from China is a necessary evil of being in the aftermarket cast wheel business. We have made the effort to buy from a high quality Chinese plant. Our plant also produces OE wheels for Volkswagen, Audi, BMW and Harley Davidson, among others. Our supplier has Americans on the ground in China who oversee our programs for us, and we have been over to China to inspect and visit the plant.
When lower volume manufacturing becomes feasible again in the US, we will be first in line. Over the past 20 years, the Chinese government has stopped subsidizing tooling, has been phasing out the wheel export credits, and as of 2011 they finally eliminated the wheel credits. We hope that in time, US plants will be able to compete and we will start to see some volume move back to the US.
Application: 2010+ Ram 2500/3500 specifically, but other applications will bolt up.
- Dimensions17"x8.5" | Bolt Pattern: 8x6.5 | Offset: +27mm | Approximate Backspacing: 6"
- ManufacturerAEV | American Expedition Vehicles
- MPN20404201AC | 20404203AC
- A356/T6 cast aluminum construction
- 3,650 lbs. load rating - tested w/ a 40" tire
- Compatible with Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Recessed valve stems for added protection
- Tested to stringent SAE J2530 standards
- Molded AEV Center Cap included
- Lifetime structural warranty
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Questions
Can these rims fit 37’s on a stock 2500??
No, you would need to lift at least 3inches to fit 37's on a stock Ram. -Sands
Can you mount/balance 35” Toyo MT’s on these and have them delivered??
Could be something to look into. Do you have an idea of what tires you want to run? FYI at this time we are out of stock of those wheels and AEV is on backorder no ETA. -Sands