Fast and Free Shipping On Orders Over $100
No Salesmen, Just Enthusiasts 888.993.4373
There are three main types of differentials, each with their own advantages and disadvantages open, limited slip, and automatic locking. An open differential is best suited for vehicles used for day to day driving on the street under fair weather. They tend to be the smoothest running differential, but unfortunately they lack the necessary traction capabilities for anything but dry pavement. This is mostly due to the wheels being "disconnected" from one another, which causes only one wheel to spin when traction is most needed. A limited slip differential is a relatively newer concept on modern vehicles which offers traction improvements over an open differential, but typically will still not engage both wheels at the same time when traction is most needed. And finally, an automatic locking differential provides equal traction to both tires all the time, which favors well for off-road use, but will cause increased wear on the vehicle and tires for street use and are typically considerably noisy.
Having Your Cake and Eating It Too
And here is where the ARB Air Locker presents itself as the ultimate differential solution. The advantage of the ARB Air Locker lies in the pneumatically operated locking system inside the differential. When activated by a 12 volt air compressor, the Air Locker prevents the differential gears from rotating and therefore prevents the axle shafts from turning independently of each other. With both wheels tied directly to the rotation of the ring gear the vehicle maintains maximum possible traction at all times. When unlocked, it operates just like conventional "open" differentials. When installed with an ARB air compressor (see below), the locker system is supplied as a complete kit which contains all of the parts necessary for proper installation, including industrial grade control switches, air lines and fittings. ARB offers three compressor models suitable for Air Locker operation. A dedicated air activation system is available which is extremely durable and compact. Alternatively a larger compressor can be specified, which is also perfect for inflating tires, air mattresses and a host of other applications where compressed air is required.
- 1988-1998 Chevy K2500 4x4 (8 Lug only)
- 1988-1998 GMC K2500 4x4 (8 Lug Only)
- 1988-1998 Chevy K3500 4x4
- 1988-1998 GMC K3500 4x4
- 1999-2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4
- 1999-2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
- 1999-2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD 4x4
- 1999-2012 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4
- 1999-2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4
- 1999-2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
- 2006-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Mega Cab Only!)
- 2003-2017 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
- 2003-2017 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4
- 2003-2006 Aftermarket gears and stock carrier - Spacer required
- 2003-2006 Aftermarket gears and ARB carrier - Spacer required
- 2003-2006 stock gears and ARB carrier - NO spacer required
- 2007+ Aftermarket gears and stock carrier - NO Spacer Required
- 2007+ Aftermarket gears and ARB carrier - Spacer required
- 2007+ Stock gears and ARB carrier - Spacer required
NO VIDEOS AVAILABLE
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Questions
Will I need to upgrade my stock gears for my 07 Ram Diesel?
Not unless you wanted to go to a different gear ratio. The stock gears will work just fine.
Do I need a spacer for 2018 RAM-2500 SLT 4x4 with open front differential? Thank you!?
Spacer should not be required.
Is this a direct bolt in and go? Or is there fabrication that is required??
Fabrication should not be required.
Will this unit fit my RAM 3500 limited 4wd 2019??
Yes, you would just need the optional ring gear spacer. -MC